Sunday, August 26, 2007

How i am slashdotted

I was absolutely shocked when i see the visit count statistics in my blog. It says 8,000 unique visitors in just an hour, wow! what a traffic? and found out it was coming from slashdot, that is, i was slashdotted. I googled about this incredible traffic, and redirected to wikipedia that describes it as a slashdot effect which causes the smaller site to slow down or even temporarily close due to the increased traffic. Unfortunately, blogger server was down because of unknown errors, as if it proves the description of slashdot effect.


Normally, my blog has approximately 800 visits a day. When the slashdot linked me, it rised to 38,000 a day, which means about 50 times increase. I just started "plenty of code" a month ago, so i had only few bucks in my adsense account. Through the slashdot effect, my account amount is tribled in only two days. What can i say? You guys really encouraged me. Big big big thanks to Slashdot.


I noticed that the slashdot effect brings other effect at the same time, such as digg, del.icio.us, stumpleupon, etc... Here is the tree that shows the effect in general (not exact. what i observe from the analytics report)

...cnet news
...|__ newz.dk
...|__ csdn
...|__ slashdot
............|___hup.hu
............|___downloadblog.it
............|___del.icio.us
.....................|___popurls
.....................|___fichey
.....................|___makeuseof
.....................|___jimmyr
.....................|___many more...
..........|___stumbleupon
..........|___digg
..........|___downloadsquad
..........|___larkware
..........and goes on...

Special thanks to qualified resources sites for developers. My articles have been in popular lists several times. I also find very very useful stuffs from these sites.

...dzone
...dotnetkicks
...Joe On .NET

Things shouldn't be so complex.
...reddit

See Also;

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulation. your articles are very nice.

bayarsaikhan said...

Teşekkür ederim Mustafa :)